Capitaine Georges Thenault received Nieuport 17 N.1844 when the plane was assigned to Escadrille N.124, also known as l'Escadrille Americaine, on 19 September 1916. The unit transferred to Cachy on 23 October and there it started using its typical Seminole head as an insigna.
Nieuport N.1844 was then used by Sergent Raoul Lufbery who got it for his exclusive use for most of November and December, the month when the Lafayette Escadrille name was adopted for the first time. Lufbery had N.1830 that was badly damaged in combat on 9 October; on 12 October he became an ace coming back from the Oberndorf Raid probably on N.1803 and shooting down a Roland C.II, his 5th official victim. He then started using N.1844 at least from 6 November. On 27 December at 3 P.M., Lufbery scored his 6th victory on N.1844 shooting down an Aviatik C south-east of Chaulnes.
In 1917 N.1844 was first used by Caporal Ronald Wood Hoskier, who received it on 7 January when Lufbery started using Spad VII N.238. Hoskier flied it up to mid February. On 1st March, Sergent Harold Buckley Willis joined the Escadrille and started using this plane, destroying it on 31 March. Willis will later change the Seminole head to a Sioux head as the unit insigna.
N.1844 is one of the Nieuport 17 armed with a Lewis over the upper wing, in addition to the standard Vickers on the fuselage.
Most data are from Jon Guttman, "Nieuport Flyers of the Lafayette", Albatros Productions 2006.
Wings of War - Airplane packs 3
Wings of War - Burning Drachens